Friday 3 May 2013

'Death to Depression' Mitts


Here I am, indulging in a spot of 'therapeutic knitting'. Basically, that's a nice way of saying I'm getting truly fecked off with the brioche cowl and I'm feeling a bit Stabby It would seem that 'I've got five minutes, I'll just do...' invariably ends in disaster because I'm rushing and not in the Zenlike state conducive to knitting. So, I just wanted something quick and dirty that packs a good confidence-boost.

For me, crafts are a big fat cannon in my war against a small collection of mental health problems: I can be creative in a way that fits in with my life, plan things to do (vital), and feel I've actually achieved something concrete (with my level of genius, that's quite literally possible). This gives me a good dose of kick-arse positivity. The trouble is that I haven't actually managed to complete a project in some time. I've been trying to learn new things and push myself while working on projects that are interminable long-term, which is fine unless I am struggling on the anxiety-depression front (I don't need to feel like I'm failing at one more bloody thing, thank you very much).

Hence:



Some mitts/arm-warmer thingies that I'd saved on Ravelry (Jiffy Armwarmers by Iris Wilde) and forgotten about. Waddaya know, I have the right yarn, the right needles, and I can totally do k2p2 rib! A new but achievable thing that is knitting up really quickly. I've nearly finished one and so I'll put more progress piccies up at some point and then do the big TA DA!.

So, these shall be named my 'Death To Depression' Mitts. Yeah, I have a thing about death, doom, and destruction because 'knitting is a battleground'...or was that 'love'? Easily confused. Oh, look! That otter looks like Chevy Chase!

*hides*

Hey, it's cheaper than therapy.

No comments:

Post a Comment