Friday 1 March 2013

Unravel


I started this blog because I went to Unravel. I've been stuck in a creative rut for about a year and a half, trying to learn to knit by myself and not getting very far, but I got together a little Knit Night group with two friends who were already enthusiastic knitters. This was the beginnings of me showing more interest but I was still a bit at sea and didn't understand what they were talking about when it came to different yarns, needles, patterns etc. 

At Unravel I saw strange and beautiful things and felt very inspired by all the creative people there. Had I realised I would be so inspired that I would want to start a blog, I would have taken pictures of everything (note to self: take photos!). I didn’t really know what to expect but what I found gave me the ‘bit of a creative kick up the bum’ that I really needed. It’s all very well having books and the internet at your disposal but there’s nothing quite like being surrounded by talented, knowledgeable people and seeing the most glorious craft merchandise you could hope for all in one place. 

I didn’t have much money to bring but I did know that I wanted some short 4mm (I actually needed 5mm but never mind) needles for my endless Blanket of Death project and to see if I could get any felt to try out some projects in the Claire Youngs books (Scandinavian Needlecraft and Folk Art Needlecraft) I’d bought for my Birthday. I was completely astounded at how many stalls there were in room after room after room of The Maltings and I ended up with little stash of goodies. I think I can say I've got a definite leaning towards a particular colour palette.


From bottom left, clockwise: short 4mm needles from Addicted2Knit; tiny wool sock brooch by Judy Hardman £2.50 (she makes them to try out colours and patterns, then sells them as brooches - genius); 50g balls of UK Alpaca DK alpaca and blue-faced Leicester in Moss and Mustard £3.50 each (in bargain bin, usually £5.50); bale of assorted felt squares £8 and pure wool 50p a ball from Eliza Conway; Unravel guide; Knitting for the Absolute Beginner by Alison Dupernex.

It was fascinating to see people working, both to while away a little time at their stalls and as demonstrations of particular skills such as spinning.  I very much enjoyed having a go at spinning wool with a hand spindle and trying to knit masssive things with massive needles (photograph courtesy of Sarah Fenn). 

Ingrid Wagner (right) was selling enormous needles and yarn. It felt a bit like being on the set of The Borrowers. I exclaimed, ‘How on earth are you supposed to knit with THOSE?!’, was promptly handed a piece of work and told that you can simply use knit stitch and it will create things like seat pads, rugs and other large textiles very quickly. Then she picked up a pair that were more like something you'd row with and showed us how to let the floor do the heavy support work for you. Mind-boggling, fantastical stuff and I definitely fancy trying to make a massive rug out of massive wool. Ingrid is completely awesome, comes across as a great teacher and I'd love to go on one of her Big Knitting Workshops one day.

I'm already looking at what craft fairs I can go to next, what I might need and what I might learn. For now though, I've got a few project ideas in mind, using the things I bought, and I will be taking you through the journey of how these evolve and hopefully turn into lovely things for me, my family and friends.

2 comments:

  1. My goodness, she looks like a Borrower. I wish she had a youtube channel so I could watch her row/knit like one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! She was so great. You never know, if you email her and ask her nicely she might consider doing a You Tube channel...

      Delete